Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Om Ali

I recently had a lunch event to attend and was asked to bring a dessert. I had inquired of the host, if there was anything special that she would like and her response was to make one of my favorites. Well, I sat down with my trusty Nigella How to be a Domestic Goddess cook book and leafed through the pages and pages of heavenly desserts. As I was drinking in each lovely picture I happened upon Om Ali. Now I have had this cookbook for about 5 years and have many favorites from it, but I also have many things that I have yet to try! Om Ali is one of those recipes. I have stared at the picture and read through Nigella's description of this dessert countless times often at night curled up in bed dreaming of the day where I would finally attempt this dessert! That day finally arrived! A lunch was the perfect event especially since it was forecast to be a cold rainy blustery day! And oh my it was it! Sunshineville may have mostly sunny pleasant weather but even here we can get storms that dump us with rain and shake the trees until branches litter the streets and side walks.

Well the dessert lived up to my every expectation and was loved by the women at the lunch. I am definitely keeping this recipe in my to repeat list. It takes a while to make and requires a lot of patience, but it is worth it. Just make sure that you pick a time when you are not under a time crunch. I will also mention, that it is really best eaten the first day straight out of the oven. It does reheat but is just not as delicious the second or third day.

Here is you need:

7 oz Filo Dough (thawed)
2/3 Melted Butter
3 cups Whole Milk (please don't use anything less than whole milk it won't turn out right!)
2 cups half and half
1/3 cup Sugar
Desired spices: ground Cardamon, Cinnamon, Nutmeg
3 oz Slivered Almonds 
1/4 cup Golden Raisins
3 oz Dried Apricots (diced - also the Blenheim dried variety are worth the price for the superior flavor)
2 1/2 oz Pistachios, chopped
2 1/2 oz pine nuts (I didn't add these here but mostly because I didn't have them)

Here is what I did:

Pre-heat oven to 300 F.

Some of the Required Ingredients and my trusty guide!
Melt the 2/3 c butter - I usually do this in the microwave. Carefully unroll the filo dough and cut the dough into smaller pieces. Then with a pastry brush, paint each side of the sheets of filo dough with butter and drop on to a cookie sheet like wet rags. I was generous with the butter and don't be afraid to melt more if you need it. If the filo sheets aren't covered with butter they will just crumble and they won't brown. 

Place cookie sheets in the oven and bake until the pastry turns a nice golden brown. This will take 20-30 minutes.

buttered filo sheets baking

Next, measure out the raisins, pine nuts, and slivered almonds and combine in a bowl. Measure out the apricots and chop them finely. Add to the bowl. Measure out pistachios and chop. Take the time with this step and breath in the heavenly aroma that comes when you chop these beautiful green little nuts. If you are anything like me you will need to measure out a few more so that you can snack on a few. Now add these to the bowl and mix the ingredients. 

Chopped Pistachios

Bowl of dried fruit and nuts.

Meanwhile in a large pot combine the milk, cream or half and half, the sugar and desired spices (not more than a 1/2 tsp each - except maybe the cardamom) in a large pot. Heat the milk stirring occasionally until it comes to a boil. Make sure the heat isn't too high or you'll scorch the bottom of the milk. Stirring frequently will also help to reduce the scorching.


While the milk is heating, crumble some of the baked filo sheets into the bottom of a buttered pie plate. Once the bottom is covered with the filo dough, layer with the fruit and nuts. Repeat this until all of the ingredients are done finishing with filo dough on top.

Assembled Om Ali

Once the milk mixture has come to a boil, pour over the layered ingredients. I put the pie plate on a cookie sheet so that it is easier to put in and out of the oven also if the milk cooks over the edge you will only have a cookie sheet to clean instead of an entire oven!


Sprinkle the top with nutmeg, if you have fresh that you can grate it over the top.
Place the Om Ali in a fully pre-heated 500 F oven. 


Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until the top turns a deep golden brown. Make sure it doesn't burn!

Finish Om Ali!

This dish is best savored fresh out of the oven. Take the time to savor and breath in the aroma especially since all the effort that is required to assemble this beautiful dish. But you should probably let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes after you pull it out of the oven so it has time to set up. The recipe says it serves 6 to 8 servings but I got a whole lot more out of it. 

I hope you enjoy it!

2 comments:

  1. looks fantastic! what was the taste and texture like?

    love reading your posts - makes me want to spend more time in the kitchen! and with it being spring break I have no excuses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was definitely a blend of flavors from the tartness of the apricots to the mellow flavor of the pistachios. The texture was much like a custard but dotted with fruit and nuts. The filo definitely was there but not really distinct except for on the top layer. Although buttering each side of filo was well with it because it added a buttery flavor.

    I am glad you are enjoying the blog!

    ReplyDelete